Sliders are one of my all-time favourite street foods. You can take a simple starting point which is in essence a mini burger and then go to (flavour) town on it. They are about experimenting and trying new things, about gluttony and greed for all things delicious. Why pick one type of burger why you can have three different types of burger? They have been adapted into every major (and most of the minor) food cultures in the world with even three Michelin star Chefs having a good go at them.Hopefully I will get to show you some of the wackier and wild things that have been done with this fast food staple but here I am just going to do simple cheeseburger with onion relish. A classic combination that will satisfy anyone when the hunger hits.
To do the onion relish right it really does need a bit of time so get it on early so you aren’t worried about timings. I guarantee it will be worth planning a little ahead. The long slow cook helps to develop the natural sweetness in onions and then you get this beautiful aniseed quality coming from the Fennel and Cumin. It also keeps really well in the fridge if you have some left over.
750g Beef mince
4 Small burger buns or slider buns if you can find them.
4 Red Onions
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
8 Slices of Cheese (cheddar or emmental for melting)
1. Get a large pan onto a low heat with two tablespoons of sunflower oil.
2. As finely as you can, slice the onions and add to the pan with the ground cumin and fennel.
3. Saute on a low heat for about 45/50 minutes, stirring occasionally. They should be dark and soft and super sweet. (A little butter right at the end makes a big difference)
4. When the onions are ready season the mince well and shape into four patties.
5. Get a pan onto a high heat and your grill on full
6. Fry the patties on a high heat in a little sunflower oil for about four or five minutes each side, depending on the size of your burgers.
7. When they are nearly good to go put your buns under the grill (cut side up) to warm through.
8. Next place two slices of cheese on each patty and sling them under your hot grill.
There are few things in this world more satisfying that a really well prepared cheeseburger. Add this staple to your arsenal and you will have a lifelong skill with which to make friends and influence people.